What Are Plantains?
Easy Fried Plantains are made from the big green “bananas” you see in the supermarket near the tropical fruits. Surprisingly, plantains are actually a starchy vegetable like a potato, not a banana!
The best alternative to french fries!
Because of the high amount of starch, plantains are more like a potato than a banana… which means they are perfect for frying up and serving like french fries! Fried plantains are delicious, indulgent, and oh so satisfying. They are the perfect addition to burger night or even on their own as a snack!
How do you make them?
I find that frying up a green (or black) plantain lightly in coconut oil is the perfect way to eat them. A single serving is half a plantain, so I like to fry half and wrap up the rest for another day! I also like to choose a plantain that is green or somewhat yellow, since it’s not a sweet and therefore more like a french fry. If you choose one that is completely black, it’s still very yummy, but it will be more sweet than savory.
Easy Fried PlantainsPrint This
- 1 Plantain
- Coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Slice the plantain into 1/4 inch slices (not too thick, not too thin).
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan, then add the plantain slices to the coconut oil.
- Cook the plantains until they’re golden golden brown on the bottom, then flip.
- Cook the slices until they’re golden brown on the other side (may need to lower heat slightly so they don’t burn), then remove the plantain slices from the oil and place on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle them with sea salt immediately and eat warm!