Oatmeal is a super popular breakfast item, but we are going to take it up a notch by add ingredients to keep you balanced and energized all morning long! Loaded with healthy carbs, protein and good fats from coconut oil, this a super healthy breakfast choice that you can enjoy any day of the week.
High Protein & Low Sugar
Hold the maple brown sugar oatmeal! The sweetness from the blueberries is incredibly satisfying without the need to pile on sugar. Because blueberries are naturally sweet, this breakfast feels like a real treat even though its completely healthy. Therefore this recipe is a win win! I also love using buckwheat in place of oats. It’s slightly higher in protein and offers a great nutritional profile. It’s also a gluten-free whole grain with a mild flavor, which makes it a great alternative to oats!
Blueberry Protein OatmealPrint This
- 1/4 cup buckwheat (or steel-cut oats)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) + more for topping
- 1 egg or 1/2 scoop (2 tbsp.) of your favorite vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp. almond butter combined with 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- Add the water and buckwheat to a small sauce pan, then bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, then cook the buckwheat covered (stirring occasionally) until it’s soft and chewy. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the buckwheat is cooked, stir in the protein powder or crack in the egg. If using the egg, mix it into the buckwheat and allow it took cook for about 3-5 minutes. If you are using frozen blueberries, stir them into the buckwheat and allow it to cook a few more minutes until the blueberries are warm.
- Scoop your oatmeal into a bowl, then top with more blueberries. Pour the coconut oil almond butter sauce over the top and dig in!
Cook a large batch of buckwheat or steel-cut oats ahead of time to make easy breakfasts all week long!