Loaded Caprese Chicken Burgers
I completely felt like I was on Chopped last night making these Caprese Chicken Burgers, which I’ll excitedly admit is my favorite cooking show of all time! If you don’t know the show, first I suggest you watch it 😉 But it’s a competition between chefs that have to make a meal from “mystery basket” ingredients. They don’t know what ingredients they have to cook with until they open the basket – how cool! And more to the point, that’s what happened to my yesterday.
I got a little creative.
Not knowing what I was going to make or what ingredients we had forced me to get creative with whatever I could find. Mick (my boyfriend) gave his mom some “get out of cooking free” cards as a gift, and she decided to use one. Of course, this was all my idea… so guess who did the cooking? Yup, me!
These have so much flavor!
The secret to making juicy, flavorful chicken burgers is to include caramelized vegetables. Instead of adding raw onions and garlic for flavor, caramelize them first! Trust me, it adds lots of flavors to the burger mix and makes them so much more enjoyable to eat. No one enjoys eating raw onions in their burger.
Caprese is a game-changer.
Caprese chicken burgers have some of the makings of an Italian Caprese-style salad, with a twist! Traditional Caprese salads (named from Capri, Italy) resemble the colors of the Italian flag with red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil. These burgers have the tomatoes and mozzarella, but I swapped the basil for some fresh green onion. Trust me, once you bite into these juicy burgers, you’ll want to make them all the time!
Loaded Caprese Chicken BurgersPrint This
- 1 to 2 lbs. organic ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1/3 large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 mushrooms, diced
- 2-3 tbsp. diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, to taste
- Avocado oil
- Heat some avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened (about 5 minutes), lowering the heat if needed. Add garlic, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until the veggies are super tender and caramelized. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine mozzarella, tomatoes, and scallion. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked veggie mixture, then mix well.
- In a large bowl add the ground chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add your cooked veggie mixture, then mix well to combine it evenly into the chicken.
- Form the chicken mixture into burgers, then set on parchment paper to prevent sticking while you heat up your grill or pan. Grease your grill or pan with some avocado oil, then cook the burgers. Cook about 5 minutes per side, depending on the size of your burgers.