The Perfect Weeknight Meal
I have to tell you… I just love this recipe for Meatball Sub Zucchini Boats! What’s wrong with a melty, ooey-gooey, cheesy, saucy meal? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. To make it even better, the recipe is so easy and super healthy! I bet no one is even going to notice they’re eating their vegetables.
Meatball Sub Zucchini BoatsPrint This
- 5 large zucchini
- About 5 large meatballs (or about 1/2 lb. ground beef + seasonings), cooked
- 1-2 cups marinara sauce (amount to your liking)
- Mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Chop the meatballs into little pieces and mix with marinara sauce. Or if using ground beef, cook and season to your liking, then mix with marinara sauce.
- Chop off the very ends of each zucchini, then cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and then width wise (each zucchini will make 4 small boats). Using a spoon, scoop out a bit of the center of each zucchini to make room for the stuffing. Add the scooped out zucchini to the bowl with the meatball and marinara mix.
- Place the zucchini boats scooped side up on a lined baking sheet, then add a scoop of the meatball mixture to the center of each boat. Bake the boats for about 25 minutes (or until the zucchini is tender), then remove the zucchini boats from the oven. Add a slice of fresh mozzarella to the top of each boat, or sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Return the boats to the oven and bake them for a few more minutes – just until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Leftover meatballs make this recipe the easiest thing to prepare during the week. But, you can always use freshly made meatballs, or even more simply - just use ground beef!